Is there anything more annoying than a housefly buzzing around your home while you’re trying to cook, eat dinner or enjoy a relaxing evening with the family? While the occasional fly invader is unavoidable, there are a few simple steps you can take to make your home less inviting to these annoying pests and prevent a major housefly problem. We’ve put together a few ideas to help you keep the flies far, far away!
- Keep Trash Covered – If you keep your trash in a can outdoors between trash days, make sure you have a lid that is well-secured. Flies like to make their home, and breed, in trash. In addition, take the time and effort to clean your can well at least a couple of times a year to make the area less attractive to these pests. Doing the same inside may be important also if you have a large amount of trash kept indoors.
- Clean Up After Pets – Though it is certainly not something YOU like, pet waste is very appealing to houseflies. Whether you have a litter box indoors that your cat uses throughout the day or you have an outdoor area for a dog or cat to “do his business” make sure you keep waste controlled by scooping and discarding. Also, make sure there are no “surprise” waste issues in your yard from strays or inconsiderate dog walkers.
- Replace Window Screens – Flies can get in your home in the smallest of holes. Consider replacing any older window screens that have holes or gaps. Then, you can open your windows with the confidence that flies can’t easily find their way inside. Adding a screen door may be a good choice as well, if you are often leaving the door open to let your home air out.
- Seal Other Openings – Look for unexpected spaces where flies could sneak in and enter your home. If you have a window unit fan or AC, this is a common spot. In addition, check to make sure there is a seal on all doors so there are no gaps big enough for a fly to enter.
- Consider Paper or Tape – Most hardware or big box stores will sell sticky flypaper or tape that can help get rid of houseflies. You may want to install this near entry points during the peak of fly season. It will catch a large number of flies and keep them from bugging you and your family.
- Keep a Clean Home – A clean home, without food or trash left at easy reach, is much less appealing to flies and other insects too. A clean house is a great first step to keeping flies at bay.
Most importantly, realize that year round pest control is the best way to prevent houseflies and other pests from invading. Schedule an appointment with American Rat Control today. We proudly serve Los Angeles and the surrounding areas. Let us show you how easy it is to have a fly-free home all summer long. We look forward to working with you!