As you begin your holiday baking, there is one ingredient that you certainly don’t want to encounter in your pantry–a rat! However, rats, mice, ants, weevils, and other insects can be especially attracted to this very spot in your home. Luckily, if you are willing to be proactive, it should be easy to keep pantry pests away so you can enjoy your favorite treats without worry about rodents. We have put together a few tips to help you keep your kitchen and pantry clean and pest-free this holiday season.
- Seal All Food – The number one thing you can do to keep pests out of your pantry and kitchen is to seal food tightly. Don’t trust the packaging that food is sold in; instead, utilize plastic or glass containers that seal tightly and keep pests at bay. You may wish to purchase food in smaller packages so it will not need to sit as long and run the risk of infestation.
- Clean, Clean, Clean – Even if you think you have a clean kitchen, the smallest mess can be quite tempting to pests. At least every few weeks, take time to clean your pantry from top to bottom including wiping down all the shelves and sweeping the floor. If you have a vacuum with a hose attachment, you’ll find this is a good tool for reaching the back of cabinets. Cleaning in this way will allow you to do away with crumbs and loose food that may serve to attract pests.
- Put a Lid on Trash – If you have a trash can in your kitchen, make sure it is one with a tight sealing lid. Consider one with a step-down or push button lid that closes completely. In addition, make sure you empty the trash regularly and put it outdoors in a can with a well-fitting lid. When pests cannot smell your trash, they will be less likely to want to call your house their home.
- Eliminate Moisture Sources – Rats and other kitchen pests thrive when they have easy access to water as well as food. Make sure you have no standing water in the kitchen. Check under your sink for leaks or near windows and doors for areas where moisture can get inside your home unexpectedly.
- Call a Pest Control Professional – Just because it is winter doesn’t mean that you can take a break from your pest control services. For pest-free baking, call in an expert, and then you can be confident that there will be no unexpected visitors in your kitchen.
By just taking the time to follow the above tips, you will likely find that your home is a less appealing place for rodents and insects. You can enjoy your holiday baking (and the eating that comes with it) without worrying about pests. If you have any questions or concerns about pest control services, reach out to us at American Rat Control today. We are 100% dedicated to helping your home become and remain pest-free.