There are few things more terrifying to a home or business owner than the idea of a rat infestation in attic, basement or anywhere else on the property. While it’s possible to effectively exterminate rats when they have infested a space, the best solution is to avoid infestation in the first place. We’ve gathered seven tips you’ll want to keep in mind to help prevent an infestation in your home or business.
- Watch for Invaders – Learn to watch for early signs of mice or rats so you can catch a problem early. Noticing signs such as chewed fabric or scattered bedding can allow you to call and find “mouse control near me” before the situation gets out of control.
- Seal Any Openings – Check the home or building for any openings and seal as you are able. This could include even the smallest holes. After all, young rats could squeeze in a hole the size of a large coin! Taking care of pest control rodent proofing tasks around the home is not difficult and it pays off in a big way when it keeps the rats away!
- Cut Back Greenery – Trees and bushes near the home allow easy access for rats and mice, plus give them a good place to hide out near the structure. Cutting back the greenery makes your property much less appealing to these small invaders.
- Remove Outdoor Food Sources – Clear away any rotting wood, decaying plants or uneaten pet food. Check trees for dropped fruit and make sure your garbage does not have easy access for pests. If it is possible, consider other detractors such as predator urine to scare away rats and mice.
- Plant Mint – Rats do not like mint. Because of this, mint is your best friend. Plant mint around your yard or garden and you’ll find that mice and rats will not want to hang out nearby. Mint is very easy to grow, even if you do not consider yourself a gardener. Plus you can use it in cooking and flavoring drinks.
- Consider a Cat – Even an indoor cat may be a great deterrent for mice and rats. Just the scent of the animal on your property may keep rats and mice at bay. Plus, if any pests do come into the home, you’ll have a furry feline friend who’ll be there to take the situation under control.
- Practice Extreme Cleanliness – A clean home is one that rats and mice will find unappealing. Keep things neat and tidy, plus wipe everything down often. Do this more often than you think is necessary for one of the most effective rat control measures.
If you’ve already seen signs of rats around your property, or you want to take a proactive approach for effective rat control and prevention, contact American Rat Control today. We are proud to serve home and business owners, as well as landlords, in and around Los Angeles. We look forward to working with you!