CONTROLLING THE RAT INFESTATION
Within the United States, rats are troublesome and cause untold damage to property and contaminate food that is warehoused for sale. What is more worrisome is they are a serious health hazard and can cause disease in humans and other animals. Controlling these pests is vitally important for homes, businesses, institutions, hospitals, schools, prisons and agricultural enterprises.
Rats have a propensity to thrive in almost any environment, as long as there is food and water, they will find shelter in a small space and be comfortable. They are not fussy about where they live: homes, gardens, buildings like warehouses, offices, and other buildings, an empty building is a magnet for these rodents. They can live in them undisturbed, foraging for food in nearby buildings that have dustbins are a delectable delight for them. In no time there is a colony of them filling up the spaces in an empty building.
IDENTIFYING A RAT
Identifying the type of rat will help in finding a solution to get rid of them. Any good extermination company, such as American Rat Control, Los Angeles, CA, can help you in the identification of the type of rat that is invading your property.
There are two major types of rats especially in the Los Angeles, California areas:
- The Roof Rat that gets it name from the rats that occupy roofs of homes
- Norway Rat who usually occupies the lower areas of a building.
LOOKING FOR THE RATS
Do a thorough inspection of your home and yard for evidence of rats:
- Have you found rat droppings close to and around your dog or cat dishes?
- Are there signs of rats in those areas where you store your pet food?
- Do you have your pet food stored in properly sealed containers to keep rats out?
- Do you hear scuffling noises coming from your attic especially at dusk?
- When you take wood from the wood pile, have you seen signs of rats nests or maybe remnants of rats nests?
- Has your cat or dog brought you a ‘rat present’ and laid it at your feet?
- Fruit and nut trees are another magnet for rats, they leave evidence of half eaten fruit and nuts on the trees
- Vegetable gardens are another place that rats like as it’s free food for them
- Rats leave evidence along your utility lines; you can easily see this.
- Have you looked at your fences at dusk? If you have rats, then you will see them scurrying across them
- Garages are another ideal place for rats to find a home. Most garages have places that rats can hide and nest
- Bodies of water such as swimming pools, a hot tub attract rats and they often fall in and drown, the need for water is vital for their survival and they will look for it anywhere
- Tool and garden shed harbor rats. Many times the sheds are not used often so rats feel safe there
- Have you found burrows under your compost heap or other places where there is branches or wood stored?
- Beams and rafters, walls and pipes of a home will show evidence of rat trails
- If you have recycle bins, are they sealed properly or can the rats and mice get in
Call the professionals if you find any evidence of the above. America Rat Control, LA in California, are highly qualified specialists in rodent removal and extermination. Your peace of mind is guaranteed as they use methods that cannot harm you or your pets.